It never fails within Michigan we always get one day in the spring when we get a torrential down pour. Excellent idea as if that may be the day the power goes out and the sump pump fails. Water restoration is a large part of restoration services provided by companies. Many homeowners consider that they can clean it up themselves without thinking about how the dampness will affect the area. What many people don’t understand is that water can stick around and create mildew and mold. With it feels dry to the touch areas can still be damp. When not thoroughly dried through water restoration techniques damage can occur.
If your home or business is affected by water damage the best first step is to call your insurance company and have a water restoration company come out and assess the damages. Click here are some tips to help you for a homeowner to help their restoration of your real estate.
DO’S and DON’TS
1) The first step is to dehumidify the area. As long as the area is no longer submerged in water which has been cleared to be secure by an electrician present running dehumidifiers.
2) Open up your home and have fans circulating the dry air.
3) It is vital that soak up as much water as you has the ability to. Use a mop or old towels to sop up as much water as you can. Blotting carpet is also a good way to remove large quantities of water.
4) All furniture pieces should be dried below. Wood and fabric both should be thoroughly dried. Items such as cushions and knick knacks removed and safely stored until a professional has checked the furniture to specific it has thoroughly dried out. Remember the touch test does not work. Often furniture will feel dry to the touch because surface is dry. That doesn’t mean the inner parts are completely dry.
5) Wood blocks should be made that will be utilized to prop up furniture though it may be drying. If you wrap the blocks in aluminum foil this prevents staining on carpet.
6) All floor coverings that are loose must be removed taken to an avowed to be cleaned and dried. Bacteria will find a host in these areas and should be cleaned properly to prevent any bacteria from the flood water to grow and reproduce in your brown area rug.
7) All drapery end up being lifted from the hardwood floor. If it has become wet it is much better to take it down and allow a professional to clean them.
8) All furniture, cupboards and drawers that can be opened should possibly be. It is important to let those areas thoroughly dry out by removing all of the contents and allowing them to air out.
9) Books can be dried out by laying them out open and certain the air is circulating in the region that they are drying in.
10) It is important not to use a normal household vacuum to remove the. You will ruin your unit. You’ll want to leave the water extraction to the professionals. If you need to remove a young bit of standing water and it cannot be done using a mop or towel and wet/dry shop vacuum is the best tool for the job.
11) Electrical units should not be plugged in any area that is still wet or provides standing water.
12) Leave carpet that is tacked down in make. Professionals have equipment that can clean and dry your carpet thoroughly.
Damage can occur through water and bacteria settling within your household items. Do not wait to call water restoration professionals in to your dwelling to begin working on getting your home restored and functioning normal. Bacteria starts forming within minutes so it crucial to call your insurance company and just have them send someone out immediately to get your home dry sounding. Water restoration professionals can ensure bacteria, mold and mildew do not grow and fester.